To Ensure Pro-People and Efficient Local Governance in Cantonments and Effective Defence Land Management

OVERVIEW

The  name  Rawalpindi  means  the  abode  of Rawals. The  Rawals,  a  Jogi  tribe,  founded  a  village  namely ‘Rawal’   at  the   site  of  Rawal  Dam. When Jhanda Khan, founded a new town nearby, at site  of  Fatehpur  Baori, he  named  it Rawalpindi. Established in 1849, Rawalpindi  Cantonment  is the  second  oldest  and  a premier Cantonment of Pakistan. Population-wise  it  is the  largest  Cantonment. Prior to its bifurcation it was stretched over 18,577 acres of land and after its division in 2003, it now  encompasses  10,172  acres (41.16 sq km)